Photo agencies are continually performing a balancing act between photographers and the users of the photographic material they create. This raises issues such as:
- How can unlawful use of an agency’s proprietary images be identified?
- Can the photos contain images of people?
- Can images of well-known brands appear in the photos?
- Is it possible to prohibit use of the images for advertising purposes?
- How should contracts with the photographers be structured so that the licences are properly transferred?
- Is it lawful to prohibit use for certain purposes in the agency’s standard terms and conditions?